Sometimes experiment results can surprise you! Did you know that some veggies can be regrown grow after use? Try the experiment below to see for yourself!
Check to see what vegetable scraps are leftover after cooking. This experiment works with several types of vegetables, but we recommend looking for the following.
You can grow:
- scallions from their discarded roots
- garlic sprouts from a garlic clove
- romaine lettuce from the bottom of a head of lettuce
- carrot greens from discarded carrot tops
- new basil from basil cuttings
Take the bottom of each veggie and place them in shallow dish of water.
Put your veggies somewhere where they wont be disturbed and refill the water every other day.
Be patient! After about a week you should be able to see results. Watch them grow with each
Once your veggies are fully-grown, ask an adult if you can add them to a dish or share them with friends and family.
All activities should be supervised by an adult.